Victor Nikolaev was born in Moscow in the family of an artist. In 1949-1966 he worked at Moscow Jewelry Factory, where he worked his way up from a student to a master. In 1966 Viktor Nikolaev created jewelry for the Diamond Fund of the USSR exhibition and in 1970 began working in the Gokhran of the USSR. Nikolaev restored a number of rare exhibits of the Diamond Fund, in particular the Great Imperial Crown made by G. F. Eckart and J. Pauzie. Viktor Nikolaev was the only one of the jewelers of the Experimental Laboratory of the Gokhran of the USSR, who had his own stamp "NV" to mark the jewelry he made.